Sunday, May 31, 2009

Something I Miss


I was thinking about things that I miss, and the number one thing that I miss is the sound of the wind blowing through a pine thicket. There was a stand of tall pine trees behind our house. There was also a carpet of pine straw a foot thick with treasures underneath. There were all kinds of farm implements under the straw, plow shares and cotton scales to name a couple. I would kick the straw around to see what I could find. But mostly I would just find a place to sit--on the old wagon or a on log and listen to the wind blowing through the top of the trees. I haven't heard that sound in such a long time. I miss it. Maybe David can find a stand of tall pines........

1 comment:

Vintage Christine said...

How sad for you. You're right, it's a beautiful sound--we still have about half of our pines behind the house (Katrina knocked down the other half) and now I can sit on the shed's porch and listen. I also love the birds calling to each other and the squirrels chattering away.