Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tarnished Silver Plate Platter


Collections collections.
I am falling in love with tarnished silver plate. And I don't know why. This is the first one that I bought at auction. $2.50 and it was mine all mine.
It is very very heavy. It is silver plate over solid copper. I cleaned it up--some of the copper is exposed in the center, and as you can see it is quite ornate. I just love it.
It took me several months to figure out where it belonged in my house.
It has been propped up on a miniature chair on the floor, on the little buffet in the breakfast nook, and in the master bedroom.
Then the day before the bridal luncheon, I pulled this ribbon out of a drawer, (the ribbon was tied around a throw I bought) figured out how to tie it around the platter, nailed a tiny nail in the wall (just big enough to hold the platter) and strategically placed it to cover some dings in the sheet rock.
Voila!! it looks just perfect in the dinning room.
I have bought one more platter, but I need at least one more don't I for a collection? Or more? Lots more....it's a new passion.
Oh and sorry about the poor picture quality I took it with my cellphone. I promise I'll get a new memory card for my camera so that the pictures will be better.

5 comments:

DollZandThingZ said...

Even though the photo is not too clear, it must look wonderful against that wall color. Very nice! I love what you did with the ribbon. It adds to the whole effect. Love it!

Vintage Christine said...

What a great way to display! For some reason many of the thrift stores around here price their tarnished silverplate at rediculously astronomical prices. As I WELL KNOW, people won't pay those prices for silverplate. Happy hunting for more!

Decadent Housewife said...

So pretty! I take it no cats leaping to view themselves.

Keetha said...

Gorgeous - looks like the perfect home for it and the perfect way to display it.

There's something about tarnished silver - it calls to you somehow.

white o'morn cottage said...

That is truly charming. I have never seen one like that. I lvoe the way it is hanging with a ribbon. Great idea.