Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Strange Folks At The Salvation Army


My friend Christine's post here   made me think about my visit to the Salvation Army Store last Friday.  There are always unique characters in there.
As I was checking out, this older gentleman who had been hanging around the counter talking to the checker said, "Well, I guess I better go, I got work to do in Winona."
Me:  (ever the friendly/nosey one) What kind of work do you do in Winona?
Him:  Oh just odd jobs--some of this and that.  Do know Winona?
Me:  Yes I live there.
Him:  Oh that's nice, so do I.
He wandered back around to the other side of the counter and began mumbling to the checker again......and then he said to her, "I need to go, but I can't seem to be able to leave.....you must have hoo-dooed me."
I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt then that it was time for me to go.  I don't believe in any of that stuff, but I'm just saying........

4 comments:

DollZandThingZ said...

We live one block from SAL's. (What we call the Salvation Army Thrift Store here.)

The cast of characters is always interesting at the store.

There are lonely people who hang around visiting and waiting for bargains or trying to get warm, people with families who actually need to shop there, people with vouchers from shelters who come to get clothes, and the ever-present eBay dealers who are so aggressive on 50% off day.

Haven't gone there for a while. Maybe I will drop in today!

Vintage Christine said...

Whenever I go to SAL's (I love that!) in Hattiesburg there's ALWAYS a convict trusty there, I guess to help out. It's just a little disconcerting to walk into a store and there's a guy in a prison jumpsuit--you know, those really attractive bright orange things. Good thing your guy hoo-doo'ed the checker and not you-doo!!!

Decadent Housewife said...

Everyone has a story.

Lauren said...

LOL! We call it Sally's. I do love going, just have not been in years! Yard sale season is over hear until spring comes around again. I Just love seeing what you bought at the auction!!!! Love your new cake plate!!!! Its beautiful!!!!
Many Hugs,
Jackie