Monday, November 30, 2009

I've Been Waiting A Year To Post This Picture


I don't remember where on the web I found this picture, but I immediately copied it.  It reminds me of my childhood.  No no not the girl, the pot belly stove.  It is just like the one we used to heat our old house with.  It was in the living room, and now that I think about it, it was the only source of heat that we had.  I don't know how my brother and uncle kept warm in the back part of the house. Mama and I slept in the living room when it was really cold.  Mama would heat bricks on it, wrap them up in blankets and put them under the covers at the foot of our bed. 
I remember that Daddy would stoke that baby up so hot that you could see the embers glow through a big long crack in the "belly." 
I remember that if you stood in front of it like she is, your face would be on fire and there would be icicles dripping off your behind. 
I remember that Mama would keep my supper warm on it.
I remember that we heated with coal and it was  my job to shovel the coal into the bucket and bring the bucket to the porch. 
I remember opening the door and gazing mesmirized at the glowing embers.
I wonder why so many of my fondest memories are wrapped up in that old drafty log home?   At the time most of my friends were living in much much nicer homes and I was ashamed of where I lived.  If I had only known then what I know now............

4 comments:

Vintage Christine said...

That is the best picture! And it's so nice that it evoked all those memories for you. Growing up in southern California I guess I couldn't have imagined someone still living in a log home with a pot belly stove for heat. Of course when the 60's came along some of my friends went "back to the land" which meant in some cases no electricity and the same kind of heat. THAT lasted one winter for most of them! Very sweet post, Angel.

Decadent Housewife said...

Our stove took wood and the sides would glow red. We always rushed to get dressed by it on winter mornings. Thanks for sharing.

Alex M said...

The people who owned our house previously were garbage pickers. That's where our wood stove came from. They put it in the attic when they started to finish it. It came in through the roof, so I'm not so sure how to move it...the doorway is too small.

It's an odd place for a stove like that -- I wish it were in the main part of our house! Even in the kitchen, I think I'd stand in front of it in my undies...

white o'morn cottage said...

That stove is so beautiful...and all your fond memories. A lovely post. cheers...Pam