Sunday, July 26, 2009

It Was Raining And the White Knight Promised

I know these pictures, especially this one, aren't very good because I took them with my cellphone, but they are part of my story today. This is the last one that I took before my story for you starts. This is a picture of a cotton plant.
(This is a picture of the Yazoo River in Greenwood MS)
Well, maybe not. Now that I think about it the story started yesterday. I needed to go to Wal Mart, but I was too tired after cleaning the house and since I have bronchitis and have been coughing my head off, I decided I would rest and that I would go today after church.

(Another picture of the river)

I didn't go to church because I just felt to bad and I had just about talked myself out of going to WM, but I needed things. After lunch I felt a little rested. I normally go to WM in my home town, but today, for some reason I was compelled to go to WM in Greenwood.
(This is a picture of an old barn with a tin roof, I sat and watched the rain drip off the steep edge of the roof for a while and even thought about driving under there to listen to the rain)

I was putting on dab of make-up when David asked me to order a movie for him on pay-per-view. The Internet was slow and I was confused so all in all I was delayed for about an hour.
I ate at my favorite place--The Krystal--and as I was leaving instead of turning to the right towards WM, I was compelled to go straight. Straight towards the cotton seed mill, down beside the river. I remember thinking, well....maybe I'm supposed to go this way so I can take some pictures with my cellphone and post them on my blog...yeah that's it. I'll post some cotton/river/delta/blues trail pictures!!
Then......I saw her. At first I thought she was a big dog playing with some smaller dogs. Then I realized she was a deer and in my naivete, I thought maybe they were playing. They were dogs that looked like they were just over the puppy stage. They were inside a fence and she couldn't get away from them because she couldn't find her way out. They got her down and bit at her neck and ears....I pulled in as far as I could and screamed at them to stop, they left her alone and she got up......they chased her into a corner and attacked her again. I called 911 and they said they said they would send a game I waited and stayed with her on the other side of the fence.........hoping the game warden would soon get there.
I finally realized that I could call Greenwood utilities....and I did after getting through 411..........
By then I had run the dogs away from the doe 4 times and she was in the middle of a field......panting...but she was alive.
The first man from the utility company told me that there wasn't anything he could do....he couldn't get in because he didn't have a key and this wasn't the utility company's grounds, and he was too busy because of the storm....blah blah blah.......
I called 911 back and he said that the game warden was beeping in as we spoke.......and then he showed up. A young knight, in a Gwood utilities truck....a white truck......a white night on a white horse. This is our conversation.
"Mam are you the lady that called about the deer?"
"Yes, can you help her?"
"Yes Mam, where is she?"
I pointed toward the field.
"The game warden is supposed to be on the way, but you can please help her before the dogs come back? It's so brutal."
"Yes Mam , I don't have a key to this gate, but I can get in through the back way."
"So you are going to help her?"
"Yes Mam." "Fortunately, the storm is over, and I don't have any calls right now, so I can help her."
"So, I can go? And you promise you will help her?"
"Oh yes Mam, I promise."
"You promise."
"Yes Mam, I promise."
I left......I wanted to leave while the White Knight was there, I didn't want to be disappointed by the game warden........
Besides......White Knights always keep their promises.
And another thing, on the way home (I didn't get my WM shopping done) I was struck by the fact that he looked so much like another fine young man and young lady......Carl and Marie....who were killed several years ago on a motorcycle........and I'm pretty sure that I was his mama's nurse in deliver when he was born.........


a painter said...

I love your photos. Hope the story had a happy ending.

You need to be in bed resting and not doing housework or chores. Don't you remember when we kids? When we were sick we went to bed for a few days until we felt better. When did that change? Angel, get some rest and FEEL BETTER SOON! I worry about you.

ingeniouslycreative said...

Hi angel, I am a chihuahua mommy too! Great minds think alike!! xoxo Carol....on the coast of the Irish Sea with my little Irish fur-babies!!

Keetha said...

What a great story. Powerful.

Decadent Housewife said...

Beautiful story. Love a rain on a tin roof.

Kate Spike and Her KatS said...

You are truly an angel,Angel!

white o'morn cottage said...

Oh well done you and the white night.