Sunday, November 11, 2012

Costa Rica Continued...

Sunday morning we got up early and went to church (don't forget that because Costa is mountainous and each and every trip anywhere
Roadside view in Costa Rica

is lengthy/twisty/hairpin turns/up and down is not measured in miles but you will see later) and let me tell you when they have church...they have church. 
We sang for an hour, we prayed for an hour, we had hands lain on us, we were prayed for, we were commissioned and then we had preaching for an hour.  It was a very sweet experience---these people were so grateful that we were here and I was very grateful to serve them. 
The people of Costa are beautiful people outside and inside.  They are a very humble people.  I grew to love and appreciate them and be humbled by them much more than I could have imagined.
After church they fed us--we got our first taste of real Costa Rica food.  (We were all pretty hungry by then) Their food staple is beans and rice and rice and beans, which after a while you either love or hate.  I eventually realized that if I was going to be able to not offend everyone in the van or at night in the bunk house I was going to have to forgo the beans...which I did. 
The fresh tomatoes and avocados were divine and we had them with fresh cilantro each time too.  We had fresh pineapple straight from the field and it was great but stronger than what I was used to. They eat mostly chicken with some pork and very little beef.  Everything we ate was delicious. 
After this very long day I was quite tired and well quite frankly ill.  Not sick ill, but just weary ill.  We still had lots of things to do after we arrived back to the compound.  We had thousands yes thousands of vitamins to package and label.  We also had thousands yes thousands of Tylenol, Motrin and TUMs to package and label. I poured the vitamins/Tylenol/Motrin/TUMs in separate bowls and everyone sat at tables and counted and packaged them...before long we had a really good "factory line" going.
Finally we repacked all our gear and then loaded it into the truck. Then we had devotion.  We had devotion every morning and every night.  I was really really glad to get a shower and get in that bunk bed.  Except for the rolling gas in my belly...I slept like a rock.
My prayer for myself for the people of Costa Rica was that God would break me...break me for them, use me up..physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  This was very very soon to come.
To be continued.....

1 comment:

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a beautiful view. It is so nice to meet people like that, it reminds us that our hectic life of consumerism isn't all that it is cracked up to be.
Lynne x