Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snippets From The Easter Wild Rumpas Or.....

Does AnyBody Have Any Craft Ideas For Left Over Plastic Easter Eggs?
And I do mean lots and lots of plastic eggs,  eggs that are still lying in a virginal state in a box...
It all started Friday when Son, DIL and gkids #s 6 and 7 came down.  They are moving into my mother's house.  It seems that Son is ready to be home and close to his daddy--he misses them hunting and fishing together, and coming home from his second tour of Iraq, he needs to be closer to home.
So Saturday there was cleaning, moving, painting, storing and selling.  But I went to the auction.  I showed my DIL the 4 things that I did not want to sell...my grandmother's two tables, which I never remember not having around, my mama's sewing machine and a very very old mirror that came from one of Mama's cousin's house.  I was ready to move on and had prepared myself by watching "Clean House."  But I just could not see my Mama's bed and other stuff leaving.  My DIL did a wonderful job for me.
Sunday dawned and found me in a daze from the crazy whirlwind of children, David's special needs brother, and grandchildren in the house.  I sat on the deck sipping my coffee and thought to myself, you have a decision  to make.  You can be like either Martha or Mary in the Bible.  You can be like Martha and run around making beds, picking up clothes, mopping floors or you can sit back and enjoy the moment like Mary did.
I chose to be Mary.
David boiled and the kids dyed 4 dozen eggs.  2 and 3 got a great kick out of this.  I wondered if all they have ever had is plastic.....

DIL, gkids and I all piled in the bed and watched the chipmonks movie.
We didn't cook, we ate takeout...yeah I know that is kinda anathema for Easter but...and I hope He understands why we didn't make it to church.....
That evening our neighbor came over with some more plastic eggs and they hid probably a hundred.  7 kids hunting eggs in the yard....from ages 11 to 2.....fun.
By the end of the day my feet were sticking to the floor in places, I was tired of saying have you seen _____ insert name of one of 7 gchildren and/or CiCi and GinGin, and constantly being on chocolate watch for the dogs, wondering what that pink powder was in various places (seems like it is some kind of dipping powder), and hearing "Nonna 7 dropped this in the yard" (my scan drive that has all my back-up files on it!!!), loss of a rent check and so on and so on.
After everybody left, I realized that the very thing that I said in my wedding vows to David at our wedding almost 15 years ago, "I want to grow old with you, sit on the front porch and watch our grandchildren play in the front yard" had actually come true.
Life is good.

4 comments:

DollZandThingZ said...

*smile*

Vintage Christine said...

What a wonderful story. I always say that God doesn't care if you love him in church or you love him on your porch. If you go to church, he doesn't care how you're dressed. He doesn't care if you bake a ham for Easter dinner or you eat take-out. He doesn't care if you bow your head in prayer or look him straight in the eye while you're praying. What I think God does care about is that we love Him unconditionally 365/24/7 and follow His word. We might not always do it right, but heck, we're only human! Loved your story, my friend.

Kudzu said...

sounds perfect and a wonderful happy memory......and that's all that matters :D
make an egg topiary for next Easter out of a lot of those eggs! look at the one on allfreecrafts.com...that's what i wanted to make with some of the plastic eggs i have in a lawn sized garbage bag; but this year i couldn't find the easter decor!
kudzu

Decadent Housewife said...

Sounds all perfect to me. I like the topiary idea too. And stud it with costume jewelery.